You might think that the most magical time of the year is over, but it’s just beginning in West Chester, PA! Whether you’re looking to extend the joy of the holiday season, or recover from it, our quaint bed and breakfast in the Brandywine Valley is the perfect place to do both. Not only are there lots of fun activities to look forward to this winter, but there’s also several ways to simply relax and reconnect with the one you love. Check out our list of ways to enjoy your romantic winter getaway in America’s Garden Capital.
1. Let Your Love Bloom at Longwood Gardens
Even though the weather outside may be chilly, that doesn’t stop one of the world’s greatest gardens from exhibiting the beauty of nature. Starting on January 18th, and running through March 22nd, 2020, Longwood Gardens will literally be showcasing an extravaganza of orchids! Their annual Orchid Extravaganza creates a stunning visual of colors and foliage made up of Phalaenopsis, Vanda and so many more of these exotic plants. This event usually sells out, but luckily we have tickets available for guests of the Inn through our seasonal specials and packages. While you’re there, check out some other indoor garden displays, including Fern Passage, East Conservatory, Mediterranean Garden, and North America’s largest Green Wall. Or step outside to steal a quiet moment away from the crowds, and get a glimpse of what they are working on for spring. If you love the arts, you’ll want to plan your visit during one of the Garden’s evening performances by talented singers and musicians. Check their event schedule and get tickets now, as some dates have already sold out!
2. Soak Up the Local Culture at Area Museums
The du Pont family has deep roots in the Brandywine Valley, and we’re blessed to have several historical sites and museums because of them. In addition to Longwood Gardens, they have contributed the Winterthur Museum & Gardens, the Nemours Mansion & Gardens and the Hagley Museum & Gardens to our community. We’re also lucky to have world-renowned art museums, including that of famed American artist Andrew Weyth at the Brandywine River Museum. There are also plenty of other places to visit for different interests other than gardening and art, such as Revolutionary War battle sites, and a natural history museum!
3. Savor Winter at Pennsylvania’s Best Wineries
You can’t spell Brandywine without “wine” – so you must check out the Valley’s best wineries by creating your own wine tasting trail:
- Not only is Chaddsford Winery one of the oldest and most acclaimed wineries in the region, but they also offer fun events throughout the season, like their Winter Wine-derland and Wine & Chocolate Pairings – a perfect way to celebrate your Valentine!
- Just down the street from the Inn is the award-winning Galer Estate Vineyard and Winery. They open from their winter break on January 16th for tastings from Friday-Sunday. Pair your tasting with a gourmet cheese plate from our Inn, or available from the winery on-site. They also host several live music nights and fun themed events, just check their calendar or Facebook events page.
- Another great local winery is Penns Woods Winery. They are open daily for tastings, and host several fun wine pairings including chocolate, cupcakes, and cheese & honey! What could be sweeter than that?
- If wine isn’t your thing, don’t worry, there are several local breweries nearby as well to quench your thirst. Our favorites include Kennett Brewing Company, Levante Brewing Company, Victory Brewing Company, Braeloch Brewing, and Iron Hill. Most of these establishments also offer dining on-site, so you can grab a satisfying meal with your pint. If you’re a true beer lover, we recommend planning a visit during our local winter beer festival on Saturday, February 29, Kennett’s Winterfest, featuring over 60 producers!
4. Please Your Palates with the Most Delicious Food
The Brandywine Valley is known for its wonderful local restaurants, that produce delightful dishes with ingredients often sourced from our many local farms. Whether you’re looking for a fine dining experience to celebrate a special occasion, or a more casual place to grab a bite, there’s something for everyone. Even though there are several great places in town to discover, you don’t even have to leave our Inn for a tasty meal. Our romantic Inn offers a convenient flatbread pizza topped with your choice of Cheese, Roasted Vegetable, or Pepperoni for a quick and simple bite. Or for a more impressive experience, we’re able to set up a private gourmet dinner for two in the location of your choice on the property, prepared by our in-house chef. This special offer includes four delicious courses as well as wine, Champagne or sparkling cider.
5. Enhance Your Stay and Snuggle S’more
After your romantic dinner, celebrate the season at our cozy bed and breakfast with an experience that will make you feel like kids again. With our Let’s Snuggle S’more Package you’ll get a classic s’mores kit to roast on our outdoor fire pit along with a bottle of red or white wine. Nothing’s better than that pairing, except the two of you! We’re sure you can keep each other warm, but we’ll gladly give you a comfy blanket to snuggle up in as well.
6. Retreat in Your Luxurious Guest Room
After all of the day’s fun is over, look forward to relaxing in your private guest room or suite surrounded in Hunt Country elegance. You’ll sleep soundly in the plush bedding and wake to a delicious gourmet breakfast. With three courses of chef-prepared goodness, you’ll have all the energy you need to explore the Brandywine Valley for another day, or head home to start planning your next romantic getaway during warmer weather where you can enjoy more of the Inn’s amazing amenities, including a spring-fed pool, stocked fishing pond and Har-tru tennis courts. Our quiet country location is just a short drive from Philadelphia, Baltimore and New York, but feels like a world away! Come experience the gracious hospitality and relaxed elegance at our historic B&B in West Chester, PA.Book Now