Our family loves French toast and as parents (and Innkeepers) we love it even more when we can prep the night before!
This is the perfect recipe for Christmas morning! We pop it in the oven right before the kids start to open their presents and by the time the living room is covered in toys and ripped wrapping paper, Christmas morning breakfast is ready (with little to no dishes to clean up)! Or, you can just visit us at Whitewing Farm…Dad makes this at least once a week. It’s a guest favorite and our repeat guests always make a special request for it!
- 1 ½ loaves of French bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups butter milk
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cup brown sugar
- Slice French bread into about 20 slices 2 inches thick, arrange in 9 by 13 buttered baking dish
- In a large bowl add eggs, buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon and whip together
- Pour over French bread, cover and refrigerate to soak over night (The Whitewing kids, love adding fresh blueberries now too)
- The next morning: Make crumbled topping & bake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl add 1 stick of butter into small pieces toss with cinnamon, nutmeg & brown sugar and sprinkle over the toast
- Cook for 45 minutes or until golden brown
- Enjoy with Maple Syrup!
This is a great recipe for little hands to help mix and pour. These magical moments of cooking together and making memories are truly priceless. We hope you and your families have a wonderful holiday season!